Hi, I am Amanda and I’m a student at Abertay University in Dundee, doing a post-graduate research study on the impact of urinary incontinence on women’s physical activity participation.

Currently we (women who leak) are offered little (no!) support or advice in the physical activity environment with regards to coping with unexpected leaking. It can force us to choose specific exercise types or it can make us avoid any form of physical activity all-together. Yet, we are put under pressure by the government and healthcare providers to be more physically active. Without more support, advice and understanding of the condition and how it impacts us, we are not able to receive all the health improvements (particularly as we age), that physical activity can impart.

I am therefore gathering evidence as to how exactly, unexpected leaking impacts our ability to achieve the government/NHS issued physical activity level guidelines (e.g. 150 minutes of moderate intensity exercise per week).

I’m short of participants by around 30 women and without enough participants my study data will not be taken seriously, so please, if you are a woman, aged over 18 years and have ever experienced leaking urine unexpectedly as an adult, I’d be really grateful if you could take part. You do not have to be physically active currently – many of the questions refer to your current activity level but are also easily answered if you are doing no physical activity, whether you have the desire to improve this or not.

The link is: https://www.esurveycreator.co.uk/s/pilot_A

If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact myself Amanda Gard (1306956@abertay.ac.uk) or my supervisor Dr Luis Calmeiro (l.calmeiro@abertay.ac.uk).

Thank you

Amanda