Hello all. I have overflow incontinence and wondering if theirs a treatment for this type of incontinence ? i have had it for about a year now if that helps
Sorry to hear this. Have you heard of double voiding? This is an exercise that helps strengthen your bladder muscles through and is ideal to try before considering surgery.
Have you already tried any methods that haven’t worked?
Double voiding involves stopping urinating half way. Don’t worry, it’s a simple exercise that you just need to get used to! Follow these steps to do it effectively:
- sit comfortably on the toilet and lean slightly forward
- rest your hands on the knees or thighs. This optimizes the position of the bladder for voiding
- urinate as normal, focusing on emptying the bladder as much as possible
- remain on the toilet, wait anywhere from 20 to 30 seconds
- lean slightly further forward and urinate again
Have you ever spoke to a Doctor to find the cause of your incontinence?
It does take time for these exercises to work, so try not to worry if you don’t see results soon. Pelvic floor exercises are also effective in strengthening the pelvic floor muscles and can help you use them more effectively when urinating. You can read how to do these here.
Have you heard of bladder catheters? These are tubes made out of latex or silicone that are put into your bladder to drain urine out. If your exercises don’t work or the incontinence gets worse, this could be an option for you instead of surgery. Alternative, you can self-catheterize; this may be something you’d want to talk to your Doctor about.
Has your Doctor spoken to you about options of surgery as a last resort?