Im 41 and have had three kids. Two years on from having my youngest and im still dribbling after going to the toilet. Can anyone recommend some pelvic floor exercises and maybe a bit of information about them please? ive heard other mums talking about them but im not too sure what they actually are?
Pelvic floor muscles can be life-changing after you have given birth. Pregnancy and delivery can stretch the muscles of your pelvic floor. These muscles keep your bladder closed. When these become weak, it is hard to prevent leakages. Pelvic floor exercises aim to strengthen these muscles.
The most popular pelvic floor exercise can be done through the following steps:
- Sit and lean slightly forward, keeping a straight back.
- Squeeze and lift the muscles as if you are trying to stop a wee.
- Hold the squeeze as you count to 8; then relax for 8 seconds. If you can’t hold for 8, just hold as long as you can.
- Repeat this as many as you can, about 8 to 12 squeezes. Repeat the whole thing 3 times.
- Keep breathing while exercising. Try not to tighten your buttocks.
You can read about the different pelvic floor exercises here.
Would you like any additional lifestyle tips for managing stress incontinence?